One of the very common question often asked by either recuriment agency agent or in a job interview is ‘how Cisco IP Phone Boots up’ ?? Well, to answer that, its a 6 step process and you should know them by your finger tips;
1. If you connect Cisco IP Phone to Cisco Inline Power Switch, it is detected as unpowered device and switch supplies power.
2. Phone power’s ON and boots up image software, during bootup process,
3. Phone request VLAN info which is supplied by Switch via CDP, Once Phone has its VLAN ID,
4. Phone send DHCP request and recieve IP & TFTP information from DHCP server.
5. Phone contact TFTP server to receive its configuration
6. Phone contact first Call Manager listed in the configuration file and take the rest of the setting such SRST, Softkey Templates, MOH etc.